Craig County, Virginia Genealogy
|Craig County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|County Seat||New Castle|
Southwest Virginia county.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Craig County Courthouse
P.O. Box 185
303 Main Street
New Castle, VA 24127-0185
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records 1863-1896
marriage divorce probate court and land records from 1851
- Lost census: 1890
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Craig County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Craig County:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Craig County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Craig County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Va., 1785 Enumeration. Troutville, Va.: Burton?, 1972. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($). [All of part of present-day county of Craig is included.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Craig County, p. 68.61]
- Civil War service men from Craig County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Craig County.
Sources for the following regiments from Craig County can be found in
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Craig County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 8, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1964):26-27. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
Indexes to Craig County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- Fridley, Beth. Craig County, Virginia Births, 1853-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 1999. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Fridley, Beth, comp. Craig County, Virginia Deaths, 1853-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Craig Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- USGS Map, Topozone.com