Difference between revisions of "Cowley, Middlesex Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Merged information from Cowley)
Line 4: Line 4:
 
COWLEY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Uxbridge, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 1½ mile (S. by E.) from Uxbridge, near the Great Western railway; containing 392 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11, and in the gift of J. Hilliard, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £197, and the glebe consists of 12 acres, with a glebe-house.  
 
COWLEY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Uxbridge, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 1½ mile (S. by E.) from Uxbridge, near the Great Western railway; containing 392 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11, and in the gift of J. Hilliard, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £197, and the glebe consists of 12 acres, with a glebe-house.  
  
1. Samuel Lewis, ed. " Chinley - Chiswick," In ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' 710-713. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50901| here], (accessed: 19 April 2010).
+
1. Samuel Lewis, ed. " Chinley - Chiswick," In ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' 710-713. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50901| here], (accessed: 19 April 2010).  
 +
 
 +
Another quote:
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br>COWLEY, or Cowley-Peachy, a parish in Uxbridge district, Middlesex; on the Roman road from Staines to St. Albans, the river Colne, and the Grand Junction canal, at the boundary with Bucks 1 ½ mile S of Uxbridge r. station, and 1½ N of West Drayton. It has a post office, of the name of Cowley, under Uxbridge. Acres, 300. Real property, £2, 182. Pop., 371. Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Pecches; and belongs now to W. E. Hilliard, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £230.* Patron, W. E. Hilliard, Esq. The church has a monument to Booth the tragedian; and is good. Charities, £19.<br>
 +
 
 +
[www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
 +
 
 +
 
  
 
Return to the Middlesex Parishes C-F page, or return to the Middlesex Church Records page.
 
Return to the Middlesex Parishes C-F page, or return to the Middlesex Church Records page.

Revision as of 17:49, 22 July 2011

England  Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Parishes Gotoarrow.png Cowley

Parish History

COWLEY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Uxbridge, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 1½ mile (S. by E.) from Uxbridge, near the Great Western railway; containing 392 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11, and in the gift of J. Hilliard, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £197, and the glebe consists of 12 acres, with a glebe-house.

1. Samuel Lewis, ed. " Chinley - Chiswick," In A Topographical Dictionary of England 710-713. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here, (accessed: 19 April 2010).

Another quote:



COWLEY, or Cowley-Peachy, a parish in Uxbridge district, Middlesex; on the Roman road from Staines to St. Albans, the river Colne, and the Grand Junction canal, at the boundary with Bucks 1 ½ mile S of Uxbridge r. station, and 1½ N of West Drayton. It has a post office, of the name of Cowley, under Uxbridge. Acres, 300. Real property, £2, 182. Pop., 371. Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Pecches; and belongs now to W. E. Hilliard, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £230.* Patron, W. E. Hilliard, Esq. The church has a monument to Booth the tragedian; and is good. Charities, £19.

[www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))


Return to the Middlesex Parishes C-F page, or return to the Middlesex Church Records page.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

[www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))


Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.