Court of the Peculiar of the Provost of Eton
Step by Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court. Also see " Family History Library Records."
3. Contact or visit the Eton Library, Eton College, Windsor, England or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Printed and Published Indexes
The original records may include indexes.
An index for Eton is published in the following book: See index by surname and place name
The original records are deposited at the Eton Library, Eton College, Windsor, England. They include:
- Registered wills, 1600-1643
- Wills and administrations (some 227 in number), 1457-1643, 1665-1666, scattered among the general college records.
Family History Library Records
The records are not known to be microfilmed.
This court had jurisdiction only in the parish of Eton, where the famous school is located, and handled probate for school personnel.