Difference between revisions of "Court of the Peculiar of the Prebendal of St. Margaret in Leicester"
m (moved Prebendal Court of St. Margaret in Leicester to Court of the Peculiar of the Prebendal of St. Margaret in Leicester: better format)
Revision as of 22:01, 21 December 2009
Getting Started: Step by Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records Held in This Archive" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court. Also see "Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library".
3. Contact or visit The Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland or hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any center near you.
The following indexes for this court are available at the Family History Library and other repositories:
- Calendar of Wills Proved and of Administrations Granted by the Court of Prebendary of the Prebendal Church of St Margaret, Leicester 1543-1800.  Pages 205-217
- The Prebendal Court of St Margaret's Leicester. Administrations Granted by the Court of the Prebendary of the Prebendal Church of St Margaret, Leicester, 1642-1720  Pages 386-388
- Calendars of wills and administrations relating to the county of Leicester, proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Leicester, 1495-1649 : and in the peculiars of St. Margaret Leicester, Rothley, Groby, Evington, and the unproved will, etc., previous to 1801 
- Card indexes to probate inventories, ca. 1500-1800, held in the Leicestershire Record Office 
Leicester Record Office
Microreproduction of original records are housed at the Leicester Record Office. Contact them at:
Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland
Leicester, LE18 2AH England
Telephone: (0)116 257 1080
Family History Library
This court had jurisdiction over the parish of St. Margaret's Leicester, and the chapelry of Knighton.