Court of the Peculiar of the Prebendal of Louth
Step by Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Herefordshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Family History Library has Index to records of Lincoln Peculiar Courts, 1610-1827, on film 199985. The film covers the peculiars of Caistor, Louth, Heydour, Corringham, Bishop Norton, Kirton in Lindsey, Gretton, Empingham, Biggleswade and Sleaford or Lafford. The courts on the film include courts whose jurisdictions cover Northamptonshire, Rutlandshire and Bedfordshire in addition to Lincolnshire. The years for Louth are pre-1730 to 1833, pages 83-91. The film can be viewed in the library or in a family history center.
The original records are in the Lincolnshire Archives Office.
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Family History Library Records
The Family History Library has Wills and administrations, 1612-1879 as follows. Films can be view in the library or in a family history center.
- Film 200106, 1612-1879, folio numbers 1-296. Indent slips have name, date and residence. Many inventories and most wills have probate acts. Earliest years are written in old English but are quite easy to read from about 1700. Folio numbers are penciled in large numbers. The documents begin with a few not in alphabetical order, then "A" through "W", followed by "A" through "N". Pages are in fairly good condition.
- Film 200107, 1612-1879, folios to 296. "N" through "W" continues from the previous film. Fairly good condition.
- Film 200108, 1612-1879, folios 297-525. "A" through "W" then "A" through "D" number 434. Indent slips have name, date and residence. Good condition.
- Film 200109, 1612-1879, shows Consistory Court of Lincoln on the title page but this is misleading as this film is a continuation of the Louth peculiar court. Duplication of the preceeding film up to folio number 434. Wills for WIllilam Latchford and Robert Tathwell are out of place alphabetically, then proceeds in alphabetical order to "T" to folio 505. Good condition.
- Film 200110 contains "W" 1612-1879 folios 606-615; "A" through "W" 1797-1808 folios 616-175; and "A" through "C" 1808-1817, folios 176-700. Note: there is a gap between folios 505 and 606.
- Film 200111 contains "D" through "W" 1808-1810, folios 701-769; and "A" through "P" 1817-1830, folios 770-850.
- Film 200112 contains"P" through "W" 1817-1830, folios 851-893; "A" through "Y" 1830-1857, folios 894-1003. Note: Robert Lee is out of place in the "A"s.
- Film 200112 contains miscellaneous documents, 1600-1700 mostly "M" through "Y", folios 1004-1041. After folio 1041 is a series of pages of court transactions pertaining to the will of John Lowden. Fairly good condition except for the last pages. These are stained and torn and not in alphabetical order.
The parish of Louth.