Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury
This court was also known as the Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Sarum.
Getting Started: Step by Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records Held in This Archive" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court. Also see "Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library".
3. Contact or visit the Wiltshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Indexes are included with the original and mircofilmed records as listed above.
The following index is also available at the Wiltshire Record Office, and the Family History Library:
- Index to the probate records for the parishes of Mere and Swallowcliffe in Wiltshire, England, 1692-1858 (from the records of the Peculiar Court of the Dean of Sarum)
Wiltshire and Swindon Archives
Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre
Wiltshire SN15 3QN
Tel: 44 (0)1249 705500
Fax: 44 (0)1249 705527
The original records are deposited at the Wiltshire Record Office in Trowbridge, England. They include:
Probate Records of This Court Held in This Archive
- Register copy wills, etc., 1538-1649, 1706-1730, 1770-1806
- Original wills, administrations, and inventories, 1558-1857
Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library
Records have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through family history centers. They include:
- Wills, original and registered of the peculiar court of the Dean and parish of Sarum, Wiltshire, 1560-1857
- Probate records, 1607-1694
- Wills, 1583-1806
- Miscellaneous wills of Wiltshire, 1540-1809
This court had jurisdiction in the following places in Wiltshire:
It also had secondary jurisdiction over the parishes of Monkton Wyld and Sarum.
This court also had jurisdiction over the following places in Berkshire:
This court also had jurisdiction over the following places in Dorset:
In addition, during triennail inhibition, it had jurisdiction over the parishes otherwise in the jurisdiction of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, the Lord Warden of Savernake Forest and the Prebendal Peculiars in Wiltshire, and Faringdon in Berkshire. It's jurisdiction was uninhibited.