Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield
Step by Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records of This Court" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Lichfield Record Office, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
The collection on microfilm includes a Calendar of wills, administrations and inventories. A calendar is an index arranged first alphabetically by the beginning letter of a testator's surname and second by date.
The British Index Library has published an index to wills for 1529-1652 for the peculiars deposited at Lichfield including the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The link is to the Family History Library Catalog.
The original records are deposited at the Lichfield Record Office.
Probate Records of This Court Held In This Archive
These records include:
- Original wills, 1510-1858
- Inventories, 1568-1680
Probate Records of This Court In The Family History Library
- Original wills, administrations, and inventories, from various Peculiar Courts (including the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield)
- Probate inventories of Lichfield and district, 1568-1680
This court was also known as the Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield (Cathedral).
This court had jurisdiction in the Derbyshire parishes of:
It also had some early jurisdiction in the Peak Forest in Derbyshire.
This court also held concurrent jurisdiction in the Staffordshire parishes of:
This court also had jurisdiction in the Warwickshire parishes of Arley and Edgbaston.