Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury for the Exempt Deanery of South Malling
Return to the Sussex Probate Records page.
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed then to the "Probate Records In This Archive" section (see below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Lichfield Record Office (see address below), to hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf, citing information obtained from the indexes (see next heading). Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. You can also visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes and wills (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilm numbers so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history.
The probate collection includes a Calendars and indexes to wills, administrations and inventories. A calendar is an index arranged first alphabetically by the beginning letter of a testator's surname and second by date.
This is a website for which you may request a search to be made.
The Index Library has printed an index from 1588-1660
Manuscript Indexes in The Family History Library
The East Sussex Record Office
East Sussex BN7 1YT
Tel 44-(0)1273 482349
Probate Records of This Court Held In This Archive
These records include:
Original Wills 1588-1681; 1750-1773
Administrations (Admons) 1751-1857 (Admons are added in with Registered Wills after 1714)
Registered Copy Wills 1682-1858
Indexes 1588-1660; 1682-1858
Probate Records of This Court In The Family History Library
This peculiar court held concurrent jurisdiction over the following East Sussex parishes:
- The Cliffe or St Thomas Lewes
- South Malling