Court of the Peculiar of Little Hereford & Ashford Carbonell
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the The National Library of Wales (see contact information below), or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Here are two links to wills online for Herefordshire:
Printed and Published Indexes
Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica, Series 5,vol. 4 Index to Wills Proved in the Court of the Bishop of Hereford 1444-1578
Index to wills proved in the Bishop's Court of Hereford 1442-1579, by Stephen J. Kelsey
Index to wills proved in the Bishop's Court of Hereford Before the Commonwealth Period 1601-1656 by Stephen J. Kelsey
The original and microfilmed records include indexes.
The Family History Library has film copies of the following indexes:
The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3BU, WALES
Tel 44 (0)1970 632 800 Fax 44 (0)1970 615 709
Original Wills 1662-1857
Family History Library Records
- Registered Wills 1662-1858
- Original Wills 1662-1857
- Death Duty Register for Abstracts of Administrations and Probates of Wills 1796-1811
- Probate Indexes & Abstracts 1670-1858
This peculiar (special) court held jurisdiction over the Herefordshire parish of Little Hereford and the Shropshire parish of Ashford Carbonell. This court was independent of the Court of the Bishop of Hereford.