Court of the Peculiar of Calbourne
Return to the Hampshire Probate Records page.
- 1 Step By Step
- 2 Probate Indexes
- 3 The Records
- 4 Historical Background
- 5 Strategies, Tips, Other?
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records Held in This Archive" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Essex County Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. You can visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Surviving wills and admons to the Court of the Peculiar of Calbourne have been mostly indexed as follows:
Here is an online index from 1500's-1857. This is a mostly complete listing of wills for this time period, and can be very helpful to those searching Hampshire probate records.
Original Handwritten Indexes
There is an index (manuscript) for the years 1620/1-1674, 1660-1666, 1814-1845 for Calbourne held at the Hampshire Record Office covering most if not all wills in this peculiar court's jurisdiction.
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library<br>
The indexes as listed in the above are also available in the collection of The Family History Library and they are on microfilm and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers worldwide.
The Family History Library has a microfilmed index (index Cards] to the probate records which pertains to each of Hampshire's peculiar probate courts--including Calbourne for the years of this peculiar court's jurisdiction from 1620/1-1674, 1660-1666, 1814-1845.
The Hampshire Record Office also has a type manuscript index covering the early Calbourne wills; see the next section below.
Contact the Hampshire Record Office for further information about accessing these probate records.
Hampshire Record Office
Archives and Local Studies
Hampshire SO23 8TH
tel 01962 846154, fax 01962 878681
Contact the Archives and Local Studies
Monday to Friday, 9am-7pm
Probate Records Held in This Archive
Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library
Original Wills [a few years extant]
The Court of the Peculiar of Calbourne held jurisdiction over the parish of Calbourne. All of these records are held at the Hampshire Record Office (see above). When a search of this courts’ probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search both the Consistory (administrations and wills) Archdeaconry (wills only) Courts of Winchester as well as the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Strategies, Tips, Other?
See the above Indexes or those available through the Family History Library or its many family history centers worldwide for an index to this court.
The administrations (admons) for this "peculiar" probate court were processed and granted only through the Consistory Court of Winchester.
To view a list of parishes and their respective probate court jurisdiction, see the "Hampshire Parishes and Their Probate Jurisdictions" on the main page for Hampshire Probate Records.