Court of the Peculiar Parish of Thame
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records of This Court" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Oxfordshire Record Office, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
- Index to the Peculiar Court of Thame and Great Milton. Contains a list of names extracted from wills proved in the court of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln cathedral for the Peculiar of Thame and Great Milton, 1736-1857, held in Oxfordshire Record Office under reference MSS.Wills.Pec 11-19. The main list comprising over 3,400 names is arranged in alphabetic sequence and has a reference number against each name to the list of testators. A 2-character relationship code is also shown where the person named is stated to have a relationship to the testator. The list of testators is presented in reference number sequence and shows, for each testator, the Oxfordshire Record Office reference, the date of the will, the date the will was proved and the name and location of the testator.
Here is a partial index for Oxfordshire wills from 1550-1590
* The Peculiar Court of Thame and Great Milton 1736-1857 (transcribed wills by the Eureka Partnership, c2004; Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire: c2004)
Indexes at The Family History Library
Indexes are included with the original and microfilmed records. See also:
- The Peculiar Court of Thame and Great Milton 1736-1857 (transcribed wills)
- Index to the probate records of the Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Oxford, 1733-1857; and of the Oxfordshire peculiars, 1547-1856
- Probate records of the courts of the Bishop and Archdeacon of Oxford, 1516-1732
For the location of the probate records of the court write the:
St Luke's Church
Oxford OX4 2HT.
Tel: 44 (0)1865 398200
Fax: 44 (0)1865 398201
Probate Records of This Court Held in Archives
- Filed Wills & Administration Bonds (see Banbury)
- Registered Wills & Administrations 1698-1850; for years 1851-1858, see Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.
- Administration Act Book 1674-1856 see Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Probate Records of This In The Family History Library
This court is a Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. It's jurisdiction covers Great Milton, Thame and its hamlets, and also the parishes of Sydenham and Tetsworth--all in Oxfordshire, and the Buckinghamshire parish of Towersey.