Court of the Peculiar Parish of Langford
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records of This Court" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Oxfordshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Here is a partial index for Oxfordshire wills from 1550-1590
A six volume index covers the years 1762-1800, published by EurekaPartnership, c2002-2008 providing the following content:
v. 1 Persons named in archdeaconry wills proved 1790-1800
v. 2. Persons names in diocesan wills proved 1785-1800
v. 3. Persons named in archdeaconry wills proved 1777-1789
v. 4. Persons named in diocesan wills proved 1774-1784
v. 5. Persons named in diocesan wills proved 1762-1773
v. 6. Persons named in diocesan wills proved 1767-1776.
Indexes at The Family History Library
Indexes are included with the original and microfilmed records. See also:
- Index to Oxfordshire Wills 1762-1800
Contents: v. 1 Persons named in archdeaconry wills proved 1790-1800 -- v. 2. Persons names in diocesan wills proved, 1785-1800 -- v. 3. Persons named in archdeaconry wills proved 1777-1789 -- v. 4. Persons named in diocesan wills proved 1774-1784 -- v. 5. Persons named in diocesan wills proved 1762-1773 -- v. 6. Persons named in diocesan wills proved 1767-1776.
- Index to the probate records of the Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Oxford, 1733-1857; and of the Oxfordshire peculiars, 1547-1856
- Calendar to Registered Wills & Administrations of Archdeaconry & Consistory Courts 1516-1858
- Probate records of the courts of the Bishop and Archdeacon of Oxford, 1516-1732
The original records are deposited at:
St Luke's Church
Oxford OX4 2HT.
Tel: 44 (0)1865 398200
Fax: 44 (0)1865 398201
Probate Records of This Court Held in This Archive
The records held there include:
- Original wills, 1574-1858 (Consistory) and 1578-1857 (Archdeaconry)
- Register copy wills for both courts, 1528-1644 (with gaps)
- Register copy wills for the Consistory, 1672-1858 (with gaps)
- Register copy wills for the Archdeaconry, 1649-1857 (with gaps)
- Administration bonds, 1542-1857 (Consistory, with gaps early to 1615) and 1554-1857 (Archdeaconry, with gaps early to 1660)
- Administration act books, 1603-1732 (for both courts) and 1732-1857 (with separate books for each court)
- Inventories, 1550-1590 (printed by the Oxfordshire Record Society - OCLC #919569). Others are filed with the original wills and administrations
- Caveat books, 1643-1677
Probate Records of This Court In The Family History Library
Some records have been microfilmed and available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through family history centers. They include:
- Wills and administrations, 1528-1857 (for both courts)
- Original Wills 1801-1857
- Calendar to registered wills and administrations of archdeaconry and consistory courts 1516-1858
- Consistory Court Administrations A-Z
- Archdeaconry Court Administrations A-Z 1801-1857
- Administration Act Book, vol. A1-D 1603-1857
- Wills, Inventories, Administrations, vol. 1-5 1733-1853
- Act Book, 1645-1646
- Administrations, 1812-1832
This court is a prebend of Lincoln and jurisdiction covers Langford and Little Faringdon.