Court of the Commissary of the Sacrist of St Edmunds
To read a general explanation of probates in England, click here.
The Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury included also the records of the Court of the Sacrist of St. Edmund’s Abbey for the Peculiar of Bury St. Edmunds, 1354-1539, which then became the Episcopal Commissary Court for Bury St. Edmunds and was officially annexed to the Archdeaconry of Sudbury in 1844. For practical purposes, however, the probate business of the two courts was largely merged from 1566 and there are no separate registers after that date.
Films can be view in the library or in a family history center.
- Camp, Anthony J. Wills and Their Whereabouts. London: published by author, 1974; page 129.