Difference between revisions of "Court of the Commissary of the Sacrist of St Edmunds"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Added text and links under Jurisdiction section.)
(Combined Records and Indexes section and added text.)
Line 7: Line 7:
 
The Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury included also the records of the Court of the Sacrist of St. Edmund’s Abbey for the Peculiar of Bury St. Edmunds, 1354-1539, which then became the Episcopal Commissary Court for Bury St. Edmunds and was officially annexed to the Archdeaconry of Sudbury in 1844. For practical purposes, however, the probate business of the two courts was largely merged from 1566 and there are no separate registers after that date.<ref>Camp, Anthony J. Wills and Their Whereabouts. London: published by author, 1974; page 129.</ref><br>  
 
The Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury included also the records of the Court of the Sacrist of St. Edmund’s Abbey for the Peculiar of Bury St. Edmunds, 1354-1539, which then became the Episcopal Commissary Court for Bury St. Edmunds and was officially annexed to the Archdeaconry of Sudbury in 1844. For practical purposes, however, the probate business of the two courts was largely merged from 1566 and there are no separate registers after that date.<ref>Camp, Anthony J. Wills and Their Whereabouts. London: published by author, 1974; page 129.</ref><br>  
  
== Records  ==
+
== Records and Indexes<br> ==
  
Films can be view in the library or in a [http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp family history center].  
+
See the [[Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury|Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury]].<br>
 
 
== Indexes  ==
 
  
 
{{reflist}}  
 
{{reflist}}  
  
 
[[Category:Suffolk]]
 
[[Category:Suffolk]]

Revision as of 22:16, 22 September 2009

Suffolk Probate Records

To read a general explanation of probates in England, click here.

Jurisdiction

The Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury included also the records of the Court of the Sacrist of St. Edmund’s Abbey for the Peculiar of Bury St. Edmunds, 1354-1539, which then became the Episcopal Commissary Court for Bury St. Edmunds and was officially annexed to the Archdeaconry of Sudbury in 1844. For practical purposes, however, the probate business of the two courts was largely merged from 1566 and there are no separate registers after that date.[1]

Records and Indexes

See the Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury.


  1. Camp, Anthony J. Wills and Their Whereabouts. London: published by author, 1974; page 129.