Court of the City of Norwich
Location of These Probate Records
Norfolk Record Office
The Archive Centre
Telephone: 01603 222599
Fax: 01603 761885
The Court of the City of Norwich held some concurrent jurisdiction over the city of Noriwch parishes.
Probate records of the Court of the City of Norwich commence from as early as 1298 to1854.
Starting Your Search in Indexes
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records of This Court" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit The Guildhall Library, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history .
The the Court of the Peculiar of Castle Rising probate records have to some extent been indexed with the following ones:
A general will index for this probate court covering much of the county is available.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Norfolk Record Office has indexed a considerable number of the wills from this court jurisdiction and this index is available in the following publication:
- Index of wills proved in the Court of the Peculiar of Castle Rising, compiled by Patrick Palgrave-Moore in FHL book call #942.61 B4m vol. 16. These are probate indexes covering the years 1285-1550.
Searching for probates in this court.
ENROLLED DEEDS WITH COPY WILLS
1298-1340; 1377-1405; 1413-1854