Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records of This Court" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Worcestershire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Here's an early index to this courts' wills from 1451-1652, available online.
The original and microfilmed records above include the following published indexes:
- Calendar of Wills and Admons he Worcester Consistory Court of Worcester, 1451-1600 vol 31 Nendeln, Liechtenstein : Kraus Reprint, 1968
- Calendar of Wills and Admons he Worcester Consistory Court of Worcester, 1601-1652 vol 39 Nendeln, Liechtenstein : Kraus Reprint, 1968
- Wills and Admons
Indexes at The Family History Library
The Family History Library has the following calendars and indexes:
- A calendar of wills and administrations preserved in the consistory court of the bishop of Worcester, 1451-1601 vol. 31 edited by Edward Alexander Fry. Also available on microfilm, for circulating to family history centers
- A calendar of wills and administrations preserved in the consistory court of the bishop of Worcester, 1601-1652 vol. 39 edited by Edward Alexander Fry. Also available on microfilm, for circulating to family history centers
- Episcopal Consistory Court of the Bishop of Worcester Calendar of wills administrations, 1661-1858. Includes indexes.
- Calendar of wills and administrations, 1700-1858.
- Index of Probate from January-March 1660 for the Bishop of Worcester Original Wills.
The original records are deposited at:
Worcester WR5 2NP
Tel: 44 (001905 766351 / 766355
Fax: 44 (0)1905 766363
Probate Records of This Court Held In This Archive
- Original wills, administrations and inventories, 1493-1652, 1660-1858
- Register copy wills, 1451-1739 (with gaps), 1833-1836
- Probate and administration act books, 1661-1858
Probate Records of This Court In The Family History Library
Records have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through the many family history centers world-wide. They include:
- Original wills of the consistory court of Worcester, 1493-1857
- Registered wills, 1451-1671
- Act books of the consistory court of Worcester, 1661-1857
This court had jurisdiction over most of the county of Worcestershire. It also had jurisdiction over the city of Warwick and the deaneries of Kineton and Warwick in southwest Warwickshire (here's an alphabetical List of Warwickshire Parishes that came under the Bishop of Worcester's pre-1837 court jurisdiction). This court (Bishop of Worcester) also held concurrent jurisdiction over parts of Gloucestershire diocese, prior to 1541 (though few Gloucestershire wills are found in its records).