Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
For a general explanation about probate records in England, click here.
Researching British Probates, 1354-1858: A Guide to the Microfilm Collection of The Family History Library 
The Family History Library has film copies of the following.
- Indexes, 1540-1858.
- Index of wills, etc., in the Probate registery, Durham, and from other sources, 1540-1599 
- Index to Durham wills in the probate registry 1540-1812 
- Index and complete transcriptions of wills and Inventories pre-1649 
- Personal names in wills proved at Durham 1787-1803 
- Durham Wills 
- Index to Durham wills from 1540 to about 1800 
- Index or extracts from the act books of th Consistory Court of wills and administrations of Durham and Northumberlabd 1576-1735, 
Durham County Record Office
County Durham DH1 5UL
Telephone: 0191 383 3253
Family History Library Records
The Family History Library has film copies of original wills, inventories and administrations, 1540-1858. They can be viewed in the library or in one of the family history centers worldwide.
This court had jurisdiction over the entire county.