Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
England Cumberland Probate Records
The following article gives information about this probate court. For a general explanation about probate records in England, click here.
Search for Records
Cumberland has four record offices: Barrow, Kendall, Carlisle, and Whitehaven. Links to the offices are found on the Cumbria Archive Service site.
Search Indexes First
Indexes will help you easily find the probate record. An index could be a strict alphabetical list, a list of all last names starting with a letter of the alphabet, a group of names for a specific number of years. References to the probate indexes in the Family History Library collection can be found by clicking here.
- Records and indexes for this court are held in the relevant Cumbria record office. The Cumbria Archive Service website has links to the offices.
- The Family History Library has a collection of film for the records and the indexes, 1564-1858.
- Link to the catalog record for probates and indexes.
- The Diocese of Carlisle and the Consistory Court both refer to this court.
- The "Title Details" screen shows the title, notes, and how many films there are.
- Click the View Film Notes button in the top right corner to see the film numbers.
- Indexes are listed first, followed by the records.
- "Another filming" means that the time period was filmed again. The information is the same as the other film.
<Add more information in this section?>
To read about the history of this court, click here. **Contributor: this link should go to a separate page that gives a brief history of the Cumberland courts.**
Administration (also known as Admon)
<Contributor: some of this information is found in the England Probate Records article. Link to it. If an item is not there, add it.>
Indexes MOVE THIS TO A PLACE HIGHER in this article
list and explanation with links
Microfilmed or Printed
Identify which, link to FHLC?