Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
This court had primary jurisdiction over nineteen ancient parishes in the city of Bristol as well as the Gloucestershire parishes of Almondsbury, Alveston, Clifton, Compton, Greenfield, Elberton, Filton, Henbury, Horfield, Littleton-on-Severn, Mangotsfield, Olveston, St. George Bristol, Stapleton, Stoke Gifford, Westbury-on-trym, and Winterbourne St. Michael; and the parish of Abbots Leigh in Somerset.
Before 1542, Bristol was part of the Diocese of Worcester, except the parishes of St. Thomas, St. Mary Redcliffe, Temple or Holy Cross, and Abbots Leigh, which were in the Diocese of Bath and Wells. The Diocese of Gloucester was formed in 1541 and Bristol and the aforenamed parishes were incorporated to it.
Records for 1640-1660 may also be found in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The original records are deposited at the Bristol City Record Office. They include:
- Original wills, 1546-1858
- Copy wills, 1677-1721 (about 70 total)
- Register copy wills, 1559-1572, 1767-1857
- Administration bonds, 1661-1857
- Registered administrations, 1767-1857
- Inventories, 1611-1643, 1660-1767