Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Norwich
Step by Step
Follow these steps to look for a probate record before 1858:
1. Discover when and where your ancestor died. If you don’t know, use the approximate date and place where they lived.
2. Go to the Court Jurisdictions section below.
3. Click a letter or span of letters for your place. This opens an article showing a table of places and the courts that had jurisdiction over them.
4. Follow the steps at the top of the table to search for a will.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Family History Library has the following indexes and calendars. Other indexes are included on the films for the above mentioned records.
- Calendar of Norwich consistory administrations, 1519-1858
- Index of wills proved in the Consistory Court of Norwich, 1819-1857
The Archive Centre
Norwich NR1 2DQ
Telephone: 01603 222599
Fax: 01603 761885
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Family History Library Records
The Family History Library has the following records on film. Films can be view in the library or in a family history center.
- Norwich consistory wills, 1703-1857
- Administration act books, 1549-1858
- Probate inventories, 1674-1825
- Probate records for the Episcopal Consistory Court, Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1370-1858
This court covers parts of the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridge.