Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Norwich
Step by Step
Follow these steps to look for a probate record before 1858:
1. Discover when and where your ancestor died. If you don’t know, use the approximate date and place where they lived.
2. Go to the Court Jurisdictions section below.
3. Click a letter or span of letters for your place. This opens an article showing a table of places and the courts that had jurisdiction over them.
4. Follow the steps at the top of the table to search for a will.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Family History Library has the following indexes and calendars. Other indexes are included on the films for the above mentioned records.
- Calendar of Norwich consistory administrations, 1519-1858
- Index of wills proved in the Consistory Court of Norwich, 1819-1857
The Archive Centre
Norwich NR1 2DQ
Telephone: 01603 222599
Fax: 01603 761885
Family History Library Records
The Family History Library has the following records on film. Films can be view in the library or in a family history center.
- Norwich consistory wills, 1703-1857
- Administration act books, 1549-1858
- Probate inventories, 1674-1825
- Probate records for the Episcopal Consistory Court, Archdeaconry of Norwich, 1370-1858
This court covers parts of the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridge.