Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Chichester
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admon), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Herefordshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Printed and Published Indexes
The following indexes have been published and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City:
- Calendar of wills in the Consistory court of the Bishop of Chichester, 1482-1800 (British Record Society publication, volume 49)
- Calendar of administrations in the Consistory court of the Bishop of Chichester, 1555-1800, etc.
Family History Library Records
- Bishop of Chichester. Consistory Court (Archdeaconry of Chichester) Wills and administrations, 1511-1865 Indexes 1511-1857.
This court had jurisdiction over the western portion of the county of Sussex, with the line between West and East Sussex running from the mouth of the River Adur in the south roughly north and ending between the parishes of Rusper and Ifield on the north.