Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Wells
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records Held in This Archive" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court. Also see "Probate Records of This Court in The Family History Library".
3. Contact or visit the Somersetshire Record Office or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any centers near you.
Here is a list of published indexes available at the Family History Library.
Also try the following indexes:
The records of the Consistory Court of the Dean of Wells, which were all deposited at the Probate Registry at Exeter, were destroyed by enemy action during World War II. The following is information on the few records that survive.
The surviving original records are deposited at:
Probate Records of This Court Held in This Archive
- Probate and administration act books, 1662-1771, 1812-1846
Probate Records of This Court In The Family History Library
The Family History Library has very few original probate records for Somerset on microfilm and none for this court. See also the information found in the article on the Court of the Bishop of Bath & Wells (Episcopal Consistory).
See the information found in the article on the Court of the Bishop of Bath & Wells (Episcopal Consistory).
The Society of Genealogists in London has copies of published abstracts of wills and other probate documents for Somerset. To see a list of titles, search their library catalogue for the Subject of "Somerset - General:Wills."
The court was part of the Diocese of Bath and Wells. The court had jurisdiction over the parishes of:
|Binegar||out-parish of St. Cuthbert in Wells||Nether Stowey|