Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
This court had pre-1858 jurisdiction over the majority of the county of Berkshire. Before 1836, the archdeaconry was in the Diocese of Salisbury. It was transferred to the Diocese of Oxford in 1836 but there are only a few Berkshire wills in the Courts of the Bishop of Oxford (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeacon of Oxford for the period 1836-1857.
- Camp, Anthony J. "Wills and Their Whereabouts." London: the author, 1974. (FHL book 942 S2wa, page 5.)
The original records are deposited at the Berkshire Record Office in Reading, Berkshire. They include:
- Original wills, 1525-1857
- Register copy wills, 1508-1534, 1545-1619, 1699-1857
- Administration bonds, 1527-1857
- Administration act books, 1555-1572, 1605-1857
- Inventories included with the original wills and administrations to the mid-18th century
You many contact the archive for assistance with their collection.
- [Original wills, 1525-1857]
- Original wills and aministrations, 1801-1857
- [Register wills and administrations, 1508-1857]
Search indexes before searching the records.
Some indexes are included with the original records, as above. Copies of indexes for 1508-1857 are also available at the Society of Genealogists in London.
Some indexes have been published and are available at the Family History Library. These include:
Other indexes are included with the records on microfilm, as above.