Court of Husting
- 1 Location of These Probate Records
- 2 Historical Background
- 3 Starting Your Search in Indexes
- 4 Probate Indexes
- 5 Searching for probates in this court.
- 6 Strategies, Tips, Other?
Location of These Probate Records
Corporation of London Record Office
London EC2P 2EJ
Tel: 0171 332 1863
Fax: 0171 600 3384
Opening Times: Mon-Sat. 9:30am-4:45pm
Website: For help in the original records of this court contact <a href="http://www.Manuscripts.Guildhall@ms.corpoflondon.gov.uk">The Guildhall Library</a>.
Probate records of the Court of Husting are among the earliest for the metropolis commencing from as early as 1258-1688. This court held jurisdiction for the City (of London) parishes and liberties (Inns of courts of the city).
Starting Your Search in Indexes
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records of This Court" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit The Guildhall Library, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's catalog cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history .
The Court of Husting wills have been indexed according to the following:
A comprehensive will index for this probate court covers the gamut or range of years in which this court functioned. They are found at the following two British-History Online web-pages at no cost:
Printed and Published Indexes
Available at the Coporation of London Records Office, Guildhall, are printed indices to these court records, "Calendar of Wills Proved and Enrolled in the Court of Husting, London".
- A comprehensive will and admon index to most of London's (including Greater L.) probate courts for the years covering 1750-1858, is Dr David Wright's London Probate Index on CD and is on sale. He will perform "lookups" in his indexes for you for surnames covering from G-Z at a set fee.
Original Handwritten Indexes
Probate indexes exist and are held at the Coroporation of London Record Office, London. Also, they are available on microfilm at The Family History Library.
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library
Indexes and calendars to the Court of Husting wills are available on microfilm at the Family History Library covering the years 1258-1688 and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers (see Court of Husting listed under "London - Probate Records", or go to this Family History Library Catalog page.
Searching for probates in this court.
Rolls Wills - 1258-1688
Calendar of Deeds Wills - 1258-1688]
Strategies, Tips, Other?
See the above general countywide index online (see "online Indexes) or those available through the Family History Library's (see "Printed Indexes) many family history centers worldwide for an index to this court. Wills of this court mostly ceased being probated by the late 15th century.
To view a list of parishes and their respective probate court jurisdiction, see the "Middlesex Parishes and Their Probate Jurisdictions" on the main page for Middlesex Probate Records.