Cottesmore, Rutland Genealogy
COTTESMORE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Alstoe, county of Rutland, 4¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Oakham. 
The Ancient Parish of Cottesmore St Nicholas included the chapelry of Barrow, Rutland .
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cottesmore like this:
COTTESMORE, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands near the Melton-Mowbray and Oakham canal, 3¾ miles E of Ashwell r. station, and 4½ NE of Oakham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Barrow.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Deposited records are found at the Leicester and Rutland Record Office
Contact: The Record Office
Telephone: 0116 2571080
Fax: 0116 2571120
Diocese of Peterborough : Cottesmore Bap 1655 - 1849 Marr 1655 - 1963 (Banns to1982) Bur 1655 - 1877
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Rutland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 696-700. Date accessed: 07 August 2012.