Difference between revisions of "Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation, Montana"
|Line 64:||Line 64:|
==== Agency Records ====
==== Agency Records ====
The Bureau of Indian Affairs (
The Bureau of Indian Affairs() for the
[[Flathead Indian Agency (Montana)|Flathead Agency]]
==== Land Records ====
==== Land Records ====
Revision as of 07:22, 9 April 2010
Indians of Montana > Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation
- 1 History
- 2 Tribal Headquarters
- 3 Tribes That Are Part of the Confederated Salish Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation
- 4 Records
- 5 Important Web Sites
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
The year 1935 marks the formation of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation, Montana.
- 1891: forced removal of last few tribal members from the Bitterroot Valley to the Flathead Reservation
- 1935: The Salish and Kootenai tribes of Montana joined to become The Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
- 1969: The Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation began prohibiting the hunting or killing of mountain sheep.
- 1973: The Confederated Salish and Kootenai tribes of the Flathead Reservation amended some land ordinances
These tribes are primarily associated with the Flathead Reservation in Montana. the Flathead Reservation was once the Jocko Reservation.
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
For history of the Salish before 1935 see: Salish Indians
For history of the Kootenai before 1935 see: Kootenai Indians
Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation
P. O. Box 278
Pablo, MT 59855
Enrolled Tribal Members
Approximately 7000 tribal members in 2009.
Tribes That Are Part of the Confederated Salish Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation
The Flathead Nation is a confederation of the Bitterroot Salish, Kootenai and Pend d'Oreilles Tribes. The Bella Coola, Flathead, Kalispel, Kootenai, and Palouse are considered to be part of the larger Salish Tribe.
The following agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs had jurisdiction over the Crow for the time periods indicated. BIA agencies were responsible to keep such records as census rolls, allotment (land) records, annuity rolls, school records, correspondence, and other records of individual Indians under their jurisdiction. For details, see the page for the respective agency.
Flathead Allotment Records, 1889 -- List of those signing consents for land transfer.
Montana Flathead Land Patents, 1908 -- Abstracts of names beginning A-D
Important Web Sites
- Constitution and By-laws of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation
- State Office of Indian Affairs website for the Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes
- Tribal website for the Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation of Montana
- Wikipedia article for the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Nation
- Montana Official State Travel Information Site, Flathead Reservation
Confederated Salish & Kootenai
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published