Confederate Census Records
The following federal and state censuses recorded specific information on Confederate soldiers.
1910 U.S. Federal Census
The 1910 Federal Census (NARA T624), asked if a person was a survivor of the Confederate Army (CA) or the Confederate Navy (CN).
Some Southern states took special censuses of Confederate veterans.
- 1907 state census (FHL films 1533727–30) (Worldcat) Includes the name, address, birth date and place, rank, date of entry into service, unit, date and place of discharge.
- 1921 state census (FHL films 1533719–23 and 1533730 item 2) (Worldcat) Includes name, date and place of birth, length of residency, wife’s age and place of birth, date and place of marriage, living children, place of residence, and occupation.
- 1927 state census (FHL films 1533723 item 2 and 1533724) (Worldcat) Includes the veteran’s name, widow’s name, age, birth date, and marriage date.
The 1907 and 1921 Alabama Confederate Censuses are also available online:
- Alabama, Census of Confederate Soldiers, 1907, 1921 (Ancestry) ($)
1911 State Censuses
- McLane, Bobbie Jones, and Capitola Glazner, comps. "Arkansas 1911 Census of Confederate Veterans" Three Volumes. (S.L.; S.N.), 1977–1981. (FHL book 976.7 X2m; fiche 6019335) (Worldcat) Arranged alphabetically by name of veteran with brief biographical sketches which may contain the following: residence, birth date and place, parents, wife’s maiden name and parents, military service, and children.
- "Enumeration of ex-Confederate soldiers and widows of deceased soldiers of Louisiana, made in 1911" (FHL film 0483489 and 1704157 item 14)
- "Pension roll; Confederate soldiers and widows ... Year 1911" (Worldcat)
- "An Index to the Census of 1911 of Confederate Veterans or Their Widows: Pursuant to Act 71 of 1908".by Houston C. Jenks (FHL book 976.3 M22j; film 1822969 item 12) (Worldcat) Contains name of veteran or widow, parish, age, state where enlisted, regiment and company, property valuation, livelihood (including some relationships), infirmities, date of marriage, and reel number where information is found.