Columbus County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Columbus County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Genealogy
- 4.6 Land
- 4.7 Local Histories
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Military
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Probate
- 4.12 Taxation
- 4.13 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Columbus County Courthouse
612 North Madison Street
Whiteville, NC 28472
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1913
marriage records from 1867 and land records
clerk superior court has divorce and court records from 1868
prorobate records from 1817
Columbus county was formed from Blanden and Brunswick 15 Dec 1807
Columbus County was named for Christopher Columbus. It was formed in 1808 from land that was originally part of Bladen and Brunswick Counties. Bordering counties are Brunswick, Pender, Bladen, Robeson, Dillon County, SC and Horry County, SC.
The county has several important geographical features including Lake Waccamaw, the largest natural lake between New York and Florida, the Waccamaw and Lumber Rivers which link this area to South Carolina and the coastal town of Georgetown, and the Cape Fear River which provides access to the port city of Wilmington.
For tips on accessing Columbus County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Tabor City Branch
- Whiteville Branch
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Lewis] Lewis, J.D. My Neck of the Woods: The Lewis Families of Southeastern North Carolina and Northeastern South Carolina. Little River, S.C.: J.D. Lewis, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 L585Ljd; CD-ROM no. 1036
Register of Deeds
125 Washington St. Suite B
P.O. Box 1086
Whiteville, NC 28472
Phone: (910) 640-6625
The Register of Deeds Office records all land transactions, birth, deaths, and marriages that occur in Columbus County.
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- 1808-1908 - Will Books (1808-1908) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
County records are available from the Columbus County Register of Deeds. Uncertified copies of records are $.25.
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state; via FamilySearch
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - search this database of marriages from across the state - images included; via FamilySearch
- Columbus County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Misc. Columbus County Deaths - on the Columbus County NCGenWeb site
- Columbus County Obituaries - contributed to the NCGenWeb Archives Project
- Columbus County Deaths - contributed to the NCGenWeb Archives Project
- Columbus County deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - search a statewide collection of freely available death certificates - images are included; via FamilySearch
- Columbus County Coroners' Inquest, 1914-1968, 1981 - from the NC State Archives. Available as Word or PDF documents.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- NCGenWeb Columbus County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbus County, North Carolina. Page 507 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:326. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.