Columbia Tennessee Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
We have been open since 30 Apr 1990.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Address: 1608 Hampshire Pike, Columbia, TN 38401-5676
- The entrance is on the North side at the rear of building on the lower level.
- Wheelchair accessible with convenient parking close to FHC entrance.
- Location on Map
- Tue 9am-12pm and Sat: 9am-1pm,
- Wed: 6pm-8pm
- Other hours by Appointment. Call ahead if traveling from a distance or if you plan on arriving in the last hour.
We will be closed:
- Apr 7, Jul 3-6, Aug 31, October 5, Nov 26-30, Dec 24- Jan 1,2014
- If Maury County Schools are closed for a snow day, we will be closed too.
Calendar and Events
Weekly Basic Genealogy Class:
- Tuesdays 3-5pm
- Maury County Senior Center, 1020 Maury County Park Drive
- Class taught by FHC staff.
Staff Training Meetings
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
Hickman County Tennessee Cemetery Records
Premium Websites Available
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Ancestry.com Library Edition
- Godfrey Library - New England Research
- Fold3.com formerly Footnote.com
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- The Genealogist - UK genealogy Site
- World Vital Records
- Genline FamilyFinder - Swedish Records
Software Available on FHC PC's
- RootsMagic, Legacy, AncestorQuest, PAF, - Computer based genealogy programs
- Genelines™ — Genelines Universal Edition is a time line charting companion for use with almost any genealogy program. Genelines brings together elements of time, history, and family relationships on visual time line charts. The charts are created from two sources--your genealogy database and an extensive library of history files.
- FamilyInsight - Updated version equivalent of PAF Insight, but designed to work with the family tree on new.familysearch.org. It also provides improved merging, place editing, and other data cleanup tools.
- GetMyAncestors - A utility from Ohana Software that makes it possible to download your family records from Family Tree on new.familysearch.org and save them as a PAF file. Note: You need to be able to register on FamilySearch Family Tree (new FamilySearch) in order to use Get My Ancestors.
- Personal Historian - Personal Historian is software which assists you in writing personal histories about yourself and other individuals. It breaks your personal history into small, manageable pieces and then reconstructs it into a complete, publishable document.
Hardware and Equipment
- Microfilm viewers - 2
- Fiche Viewers - 2
- Computers - 5
- Computer Printer - B/W Laser - 1
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
- Maury County Clerk
- Marriage records
10 Public Square
Columbia, TN 38401
- Maury County Clerk
Volunteer at the Center
Anyone with interest in learning about genealogical research is welcome to volunteer. Computer skills are not required as long as you are willing to learn the basic skills.