Colorado River Indian Agency (Arizona)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Yavapai, Walapai, Havasupai, Yuma, Mojave, Cocopah, Chemehuevi, Hualapai, Mohave-Apache
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Colorado River Agency, 1883-1898, are on roll 6 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll number 1617679).
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1885-1893 and from 1895 thru 1940. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 46 thru 48. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 574205-574207). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Colorado River Indian Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Colorado River Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as District 81, Colorado River Indian Reservation, in Yuma County, Arizona.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Colorado River Agency are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, rolls 23-24, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724241-1724242).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online