Collin County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Collin County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Collin County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||April 3, 1846|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Collin County Courthouse
210 S McDonald Street Ste 124
McKinney, TX 75069-5655;
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
court record to 1970, marriage and probate records;
District Clerk has divorce and land records
The county was named for Collin McKinney, (1766-1861), land surveyor, merchant, politician, and lay preacher, was born on April 17, 1766, in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, second of ten children of Daniel and Massie (Blatchley) McKinney (many variants of his mother's names occur in the sources).
Towns and Cities: | Allen | Anna | Blue Ridge | Celina | Fairview | Farmersville | Frisco | Josephine | Lavon | Lowry Crossing | Lucas | McKinney (county seat) | Melissa | Murphy | Nevada | New Hope | Parker | Plano | Princeton | Prosper | Saint Paul | Westminister | Weston | Wylie |
US Genweb Archives:
Abston Cemetery; Abston Cemetery Update; Aleo Baptist Chruch Cemetery; Altoga Cemetery; Alexander Cemetery; Baccus Cemetery; Baker Cemetery; Bear Creek Cemetery; Bethany Cemetery; Bowman Cemetery; Bradley Cemetery; Brinlee Cemetery; Carter Cemetery; Chambersville Cemetery; Collingsworth Graves; Cottage Hill Cemetery; Crossroads Cemetery; Decatur-Maxwell Cemetery; Elm Grove Cemetery; Frankford Cemetery; Franklin Cemetery; Forbis Cemetery; Garner Cemetery; Glass-Chapman Cemetery; Higgins Cemetery; Highland Cemetery; Hogge Cemetery; Honaker & Murchison Cemetery; Horn Cemetery; Hughes Cemetery; Hunt Cemetery; Jacob Routh Family Cemetery (Spring Creek Burying Ground); Johnson Cemetery; Leach-Thomas Cemetery; McMillen Cemetery; McMinn Chapel Cemetery;Milligan Cemetery; Millwood Cemetery; Mouldon/Decatur Cemetery; Mt. Carmel (Hampton) Cemetery; Mutual Cemetery; Nevada Cemetery; Nevada Cemetery Update; Old Celina Cemetery (A-D; E-G; H-K; L-O; P-S; T-Z); Old City Cemetery; Old Liberty Cemetery; Old Plano Cemetery; Pecan Grove Cemetery; Pecan Grove Partial; Plano Mutual Cemetery, Sections 1, 2,& 3; Pleasant Hill/South Church Cemetery; Prairie Grove Cemetery; Routh Cemetery; Rowlett Creek Cemetery; Shiloh Cemetery; St. Paul Cemetery; Stoney Point Cemetery; Stoney Point Cemetery; Thompson Cemetery (to 1950); Wear Cemetery; Williams Cemetery; Wiley Cemetery; Yeary Cemetery; Young Cemetery
Local histories are available for Collin County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas, 1975, by Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall.
- From Blackland Prairie to Blacktop: a History of Collin County, by Randolph W. Farmer.
- A History of Collin County, 1958, by J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh. Read it on line from The Portal to Texas History.
- History of Frisco, 1902-1976, published by Frisco Bicentennial Society
- History of McKinney and Collin County, written for the Encyclopedia of Texas, 1924, pamphlet. Read it online from The Portal to Texas History.
- History of Nevada, Texas. by Grace (Moran) Evans.
- Images of America: McKinney, 2010 by Ryan Barnhart and Ryan Estes. See part of the book online at Google Books.
- Plano: an Illustrated Chronicle, by Vicki Northcutt.
- Prosper, Texas its History and Families, by Bill Hays.
- Scrapbook of Traditions, Annals and History: Collin County from 1846 to 1880, the George Pearis Brown Papers, edited by Helen Gibbard Hall and Donald R. Hoke.
- Wylie Area Heritage, by Beb Fulkerson.
- Collin County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Museums List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Collin County Historical Commission Historic Assets Survey Map
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Collin County Newspapers from the 1880s-1930s
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Plano Star Courier Name Indexes, 1918-1922
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- McKinney Newspaper Birth, Engagement and Marriage Index 1980-1989
- McKinney Newspaper Birth, Engagement and Marriage Index 1990-1991
- McKinney Newspaper Obituary Index 1884-1989
- McKinney Newspaper Obituary Index 1990-1999
- McKinney Newspaper Obituary Index 2000-2009
- McKinney Newspaper Obituary Index 2010-
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Land Title Abstracts ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Charles J Rike Memorial Library
203 Orange St
Farmersville, TX 75442
Phone: (972) 782-6681
Collin County Genealogical Society (CCGS)
Roy and Helen Hall Memorial Library
101 E Hunt St
McKinney, TX 75069
Phone: (972) 547-7323
Genealogy, Local History, Texana, and Archives
Plano Public Library System
2501 Coit Rd
Plano, TX 75075
Phone: (972) 769-4240
Rita & Truett Smith Public Library
800 Thomas St
Wylie, TX 75098
Phone: (972) 442-7566
Allen Public Library
300 N Allen Dr
Allen, TX 75013
Phone: (214) 509-4900
Celina Community Library
710 E Pecan St
Celina, TX 75009
Phone: (469) 742-9131
Melissa Public Library
1713 Cooper St
Melissa, TX 75454
Phone: (972) 837-4540
Frisco Public Library
6101 Frisco Square Blvd Ste 3000
Frisco, TX 75034
Phone: (972) 292-5669
Princeton Community Library
319 Mckinney Ave
Princeton, TX 75407
Phone: (972) 736-3741
Prosper Community Library
300 Eagle Ln
Prosper, TX 75078
Phone: (972) 346-2455
Family History Centers
2801 W El Dorado Pkwy
McKinney, Collin, Texas, United States
Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 10am-2pm and 7pm-9pm
Closed: Closed all major holidays, one week for Thanksgiving, and two weeks for Christmas
2700 Roundrock Trl
Plano, Collin, Texas, United States
Hours: T,Th 9:30am-9pm; W 9:15am-1:00pm
Closed: Dec 21-31; 2011: Mar 14-18; Jul 4-14; Nov 22-24; Dec 20-29
- Collin County, Texas Past Finders' Photo Collection
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Genealogy, Local History, Texana, and Archives of Plano Public Library System
- Collin County Clerk's Genealogy Corner
- Collin County Historical Commission
- Collin County Genealogical Historical Records
- Collin County Digital Collection
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Collin County, Texas. Page 661 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).