Cole County, Missouri Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
See an interactive map of Cole County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
Jefferson City, MO Cole County Courthouse Fire
Jefferson City, Mo., March 14. -- The Cole County courthouse was destroyed by fire this afternoon. The records which were in fireproof vaults were not damaged. The building was insured for $70,000. The cost of replacing the structure, it was stated today would be $100,000, though the original cost was $59,000.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 15 Mar 191
To see a list of places in Cole County, click on [Show], in the bar above.
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has burial records for Jefferson City National Cemetery and other Veterans Affairs National Cemeteries around the country.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Jefferson City
Maps of townships (Histopolis)
The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Cole County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Jefferson City newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on Cole County residents as well as residents from surrounding counties.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Cole County Historical Society
109 Madison Street
Jefferson City, MO 65101
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).