Colchester St Botolph, Essex Genealogy
'Colchester, is a town, a district, and a division, in Essex. The town stands on the river Colne, at the junction of the Eastern Counties, the Eastern Union, and the Wivenhoe railways, it is 21 1/2 miles NE of Chelmsford. The railways send of branches to Halstead, Sudbury, and Harwich. The parishes in the town are All Saints, St. Giles, St. James, St. Leonard, St. Martin, St. Mary at the Walls, St Mary Magdalene, St Nicholas, St Runwald, Holy Trinity, St. Peter, St. Botolph, and St. John. The places of worship within the borough, in 1851, were Church of England, Independents, Baptists, Quakers, Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists, Latter Day Saints, and Roman Catholics.'
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (London and Edinburgh, 1870). Digital version at http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/index.jsp.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 16 April 2012.
- Batches C145741, J151141, K151141, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- Batches M145741, M151141, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, (WayBack Machine) accessed 3 March 2012.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.