Coeur d'Alene Indian Agency (Idaho)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
- Coeur d'Alene
- Colville (1914 only)
- Nez Perce (after 1934)
- Spokan (until 1925)
The Coeur d'Alene Agency was established in 1905 for the Coeur d'Alene and Spokan Indians which had previously been under the jursidiction of the Colville Agency. This agency was made responsible for the Kutenai and Kalispel tribes in 1912. These tribes had reservations in Idaho and Washington, respectively. The name of the Coeur d'Alene Agency was changed to the Northern Idaho Agency in 1937.
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Coeur d'Alene Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as District 146 in Kootenai County, Idaho.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Coeur d'Alene Agency, 1907-1938, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 21, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, beginning with their film number 1724240.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1906 and from 1910 thru 1937. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 43-45. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 574202-574204). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online