Codington County, South Dakota Genealogy
Codington County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Codington County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||15 February, 1877|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Codington County Courthouse
14 1st Ave SW
Watertown, SD 57201
Phone: 605.882.4850 -5095
Clerk Courts has birth, death, burial, and divorce from 1905,
marriage records from 1900, probate records from 1893
and court records from 1883
Call or write the courthouse to request a long-distance research look-up.
A portion of the Lake Traverse Indian Reservation is in Codington County. The remainder of the reservation is in Marshall, Roberts, and Day Counties in South Dakota and in Richland and Sargent Counties in North Dakota.
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
Grace Lutheran Church, Watertown
Vital records were kept by the state beginning in 1905, and delayed registration of earlier births began c.1940's. Vital records from 1905 onwards (plus delayed registration births) can be requested from the state using forms available at http://doh.sd.gov/vitalrecords/order.aspx or can be requested from the county courthouse. Earlier vital records (excluding births registerd via delayed registration) need to be requested from the county.
Societies and Libraries
Codington County Historical Society: http://www.cchsmuseum.org/
From their website: "For research requests and other business pertaining to the collections, contact Jaclyn Ludowese, the executive director at firstname.lastname@example.org"
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Codrington County, South Dakota, p.623
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.