Coddington, Cheshire Genealogy
CODDINGTON, is a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Dee, it is 4½ miles SSW of Tattenhall railway station, and 5½ miles NNW of Malpas. The parish contains also the townships of Chowley and Aldersey; and its post town is Farndon, under Chester.
The parish of Coddington was created during the time of Honorius, Archbishop of Canterbury between 627 and 653. Following the Norman Conquest the parish was given to Hugh Lupus. The parish is recorded in the Domesday Book and in 1093 its patronage was in the possession of Hugh and Ralph de Arscio. From 1098 the patronage was held by the Abbey of St Werburg at Chester and after the dissolution of the monasteries it passed to Chester Cathedral jointly with the Duke of Westminster. The first church had been built between the 8th and 10th centuries in sandstone with a thatched roof and a central bell tower.
Coddington is a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England.
It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Malpas. Its benefice is combined with that of St Chad's, Farndon.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Great Boughton (1837–69)
- Chester (1870–1937)
- West Cheshire (1937–74)
- Chester and Ellesmere Port (1974–98)
- Cheshire West (post 1998)
- Registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
Coddington parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Coddington Parish Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1680-1909
|FS BT'S|| 1599-1900
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes. Parish registers for Coddington, 1680-1992
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online at Family Search Historical Records.
Cheshire Record Office call number: P264/1, 2/1-2, P264/4869/1, 3.
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1680-1718. Baptisms & burials, 1820-1992. Marriages, 1821-1982.|| BRITISH |
2000014 Items 1 - 5
Registers 1719-1819 are missing
Bishop's transcripts for Coddington, 1585-1900
An index for Cheshire, Church of England, Bishop’s transcripts is available online at FamilySearch Historical Records.
Cheshire Record Office call number: EDB 68.
|Bishop's Transcript Contents||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1585, 1599-1602, 1606, 1608-1610, 1614, 1617-1618, 1622, 1624, 1626-1627, 1629-1631, 1638, 1668-1672, 1674-1675, 1679-1682, 1684, 1690, 1695-1696, 1699, 1703, 1709, 1712-1737, 1742-1743, 1745, 1749, 1753-1758, 1760-1775, 1777, 1778, 1781-1784, 1786-1788, 1792-1808, 1810, 1811, 1813-1832. Baptisms, burials, 1833, 1840-1845, 1854-1875.|| BRITISH |
1655595 Item 3
|Baptisms, burials, 1874-1900.|| BRITISH |
1655596 Item 1
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
- Great Boughton (1837–71)
- Tarvin (1871–1930)
- Tarvin (previously Great Boughton) Poor Law Union, Cheshire
- Wilson, John Marius, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)adapted 19 March 2013