Cockley Cley, Norfolk Genealogy
COCKLEY-CLEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Swaffham, hundred of South Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. W. by S.) from Swaffham. 
Cockley Cley All Saints is an ancient parish. All Saints was once a round towered church, but on 29th August 1991 the tower collapsed. The church was extensively remodelled in the 1860's by the architect Phipson.
It includes the ruined Norman chapel of St Mary and an earlier church dedicated to St Philip had also occupied the site.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Images of the parish register for this parish are available in Historical records(formerly Record Search).
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 137/1-5
Two parishes have been "swapped" in Record Search image collection the banns books and banns/marriage registers for Cockley Cley and Oxburgh are viewable but not in the correct parish. If examined closely they are identified as Oxburgh and "Cley" on record covers.
The images await engineering to correct this situation.
Poor Law Unions
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Swaffham/Swaffham.shtml
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 654-659.