Difference between revisions of "Cobham, Surrey Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - 'Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film )
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 7: Line 7:
 
COBHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Epsom, Second division of the hundred of Elmbridge, W. division of Surrey, 10 miles (N. E.) from Guildford, and 20 (S. W.) from London; containing 1617 inhabitants. It comprises 5193a. 1r. 37p., of which about 2460 acres are arable, 1217 meadow, and nearly 800 wood; and is bounded by the river Mole, which is crossed by a bridge on the road from Portsmouth to London. This river was anciently called the Emley, and gave name to the hundred, properly Emley-Bridge; it abounds with pike, trout, perch, and other fish, and its banks are adorned with several elegant villas. The village near the church is called Church-Cobham, and about half a mile from it, on the Portsmouth road, is StreetCobham, where is a post-office. A fair is held on the 11th of December. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 17. 11.; net income, £162; patrons, the family of Simpkinson: there are three acres of glebe. The church has a handsome Norman arch at the principal south entrance; its walls are built with gravel cemented into a hard mass, at least a yard in thickness, and cased with plaster: on taking down the north wall for the enlargement of the church, in 1826, its foundation was discovered to be scarcely, if at all, lower than the level of the floor inside. There is a saline chalybeate spring near the brook which separates the parish on the north from Esher; and a little to the west of Cobham is a barrow, near which a considerable number of Roman coins of the Lower Empire was ploughed up in 1772.
 
COBHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Epsom, Second division of the hundred of Elmbridge, W. division of Surrey, 10 miles (N. E.) from Guildford, and 20 (S. W.) from London; containing 1617 inhabitants. It comprises 5193a. 1r. 37p., of which about 2460 acres are arable, 1217 meadow, and nearly 800 wood; and is bounded by the river Mole, which is crossed by a bridge on the road from Portsmouth to London. This river was anciently called the Emley, and gave name to the hundred, properly Emley-Bridge; it abounds with pike, trout, perch, and other fish, and its banks are adorned with several elegant villas. The village near the church is called Church-Cobham, and about half a mile from it, on the Portsmouth road, is StreetCobham, where is a post-office. A fair is held on the 11th of December. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 17. 11.; net income, £162; patrons, the family of Simpkinson: there are three acres of glebe. The church has a handsome Norman arch at the principal south entrance; its walls are built with gravel cemented into a hard mass, at least a yard in thickness, and cased with plaster: on taking down the north wall for the enlargement of the church, in 1826, its foundation was discovered to be scarcely, if at all, lower than the level of the floor inside. There is a saline chalybeate spring near the brook which separates the parish on the north from Esher; and a little to the west of Cobham is a barrow, near which a considerable number of Roman coins of the Lower Empire was ploughed up in 1772.
  
From:&nbsp; ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel A. Lewis (1848), pp. 647-654. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50887 Date accessed: 18 November 2010.<br>
+
From:&nbsp; ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel A. Lewis (1848), pp. 647-654. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50887 Date accessed: 18 November 2010.<br>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 14:18, 11 February 2012

England  Gotoarrow.png  Surrey

Return to the Surrey Parishes page.

Parish History

COBHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Epsom, Second division of the hundred of Elmbridge, W. division of Surrey, 10 miles (N. E.) from Guildford, and 20 (S. W.) from London; containing 1617 inhabitants. It comprises 5193a. 1r. 37p., of which about 2460 acres are arable, 1217 meadow, and nearly 800 wood; and is bounded by the river Mole, which is crossed by a bridge on the road from Portsmouth to London. This river was anciently called the Emley, and gave name to the hundred, properly Emley-Bridge; it abounds with pike, trout, perch, and other fish, and its banks are adorned with several elegant villas. The village near the church is called Church-Cobham, and about half a mile from it, on the Portsmouth road, is StreetCobham, where is a post-office. A fair is held on the 11th of December. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 17. 11.; net income, £162; patrons, the family of Simpkinson: there are three acres of glebe. The church has a handsome Norman arch at the principal south entrance; its walls are built with gravel cemented into a hard mass, at least a yard in thickness, and cased with plaster: on taking down the north wall for the enlargement of the church, in 1826, its foundation was discovered to be scarcely, if at all, lower than the level of the floor inside. There is a saline chalybeate spring near the brook which separates the parish on the north from Esher; and a little to the west of Cobham is a barrow, near which a considerable number of Roman coins of the Lower Empire was ploughed up in 1772.

From:  A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel A. Lewis (1848), pp. 647-654. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50887 Date accessed: 18 November 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.