Clitheroe St James, Lancashire Genealogy
St James Clitheroe was built in the year 1838 as a chapel of ease; it stoodwithin the civil parish boundaries of Whalley, Lancashire.
The name Clitheroe is thought to come from the Anglo-Saxon for "Rocky Hill", and was also spelled Clyderhow and Cletherwoode. The town was the administrative centre for the Honour of Clitheroe (previously spelled Honor). This land was held by Roger de Poitou, who passed it to the De Lacy family from whom it passed in 1311 to Thomas, Earl of Lancaster. Up until 1835, the Lord of the Honour was also by right Lord of Bowland.
The town's earliest existing charter is from 1283, granted by Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln and confirming rights granted by one of his forebears between 1147 and 1177.
The church was recently modernised.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
Thechapelry consists of the townships of Chatburn, Clitheroe, Heyhouses, Mearley, and Worston. In 1838, an additionalchurch, dedicated to St. James, was erected by subscription, aided by James Thomson, Esq., of Primrose, who, and his family, were the principal contributors. There are places of worship for Independents, Methodists, and Roman Catholics.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Clitheroe St. James chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Whalley to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|CLITHEROE ST JAMES Chapelry (1839) Indexes|
|LBMD||None|| 1861-1946, 1965-1988
|WHALLEY ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS PARISH (1538) Indexes (ancient parish containing CLITHEROE ST JAMES Chapelry)|
|LOPC||1538-1601, 1605-1845, 1848-1860, 1862-1875||1539-1601, 1605-1647, 1653-1900||1538-1601, 1605-1840, 1843-1891|
|AC|| 1538-1601, 1605-1653
|| 1538-1601, 1605-1653
|| 1538-1601, 1605-1653|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Clitheroe St. James and comprising the whole ancient parish of Whalley to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the WHALLEY PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 639-644.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..