Clinton County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Clinton County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clinton County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1837|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clinton County Courthouse
1900 North 3rd Street
P.O. Box 2957
Clinton IA 52733-2957
- Search for your ancestor's headstone at the Iowa Gravestone Photo Project. Submit your own photos to be included in the project. Projections are that by end of 2008 there will be over 400,000 gravestone photos searchable online in the project. Currently there are over 382,000 gravestone photo records in the project.
- Also search the WPA - Works Projects Administration 1920's Graves Registration Survey for your ancestor's burial place. There are 654,159 records within 82 Iowa counties included in this index.
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Andover, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Calamus, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Clinton County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Zion Lutheran Church
- Records of the Zion Lutheran Church, Clinton County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Clinton County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Clinton - Probate records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
Societies and Libraries
- Clinton Public Library
306 8th Avenue South
Clinton, IA 52732
Telephone: (563) 242-8441
Root Cellar: (563) 242-0840
Family History Centers
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).