Clerkenwell St Mark, Middlesex Genealogy
Return to the Middlesex Parishes page.
St Mark Myddelton Square, Clerkenwell, was a district church, partially subdividing and lying within the boundary of the civil parish of St James. It was created and in operation by the year 1827¹.
St. Mark's, in Myddelton-square, containing 1622 sittings, of which 847 are free, was erected in 1826, by a grant from the Parliamentary Commissioners, at an expense of £16,000, and is a neat edifice in the later English style, with a handsome western front containing a square tower having pierced parapet and pinnacles: the cost of furnishing it, which amounted to £2000, was defrayed by a rate voted by the vestry. The living is a district incumbency; net income, £480; patron, the Bishop of London.²
1. Adapted from: Guide to Ancestral Research in London; published 1987
2. From: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 626-632. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50882 Date accessed: 15 April 2010.