Clerkenwell St James, Middlesex Genealogy
'St. James Clerkenwell (1551) was an ancient parish...formerly the [mother] parish of several chapels within its boundaries. It had ..."distinct parochial district[s] attached, and...is subdivided into [several]"'...chapels. One of the larger ones was St John the Baptist, St John Square, Clerkenwell, which was a chapel of ease within the ancient parish of St James Clerkenwell. It was created as part of the Building Act previous to when it began operation--the year 1723. 
The following chapels and chapelries were attached to St James Clerkenwell Parish:
- Holy Redeemer - 1882
- St James, Pentonville - 1790
- St John the Baptist, St. John Sq. - 1723
- St Mark, Myddleton Sq. - 1834
- St Mary - dissolved to become St James Clerkenwell
- St Paul, Pear Tree St, Clerkenwell - 1865
- St Peter, Smithfield Martyrs Church – 1871
- St Peters
- St Philip, Granville Square - 1834
- St Silas, Penton Street, Pentonville - 1866
Clerkwell had as well a number of nonconformist denominations within its boundary, including meeting-houses for Baptists, Society of Friends, Independents (Congregationlists), and Wesleyan and other Methodists chapels (of which one was St James Spafields New Connecion Methodist and, one of which was a Welsh-speaking chapel). 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- P.B. Dunn, A Guide to Ancestral Research in London, (BYU Printing Services, 2010).
- Samuel Lewis, ed. " Chinley - Chiswick," In A Topographical Dictionary of England 626-632. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848). Adapted. Online here.
- 'Clearwell - Clerkenwell', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 626-632. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50882 Date accessed: 10 February 2012.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St James, Clerkenwell in Islington Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Clerkenwell St James in Islington Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Clerkenwell St James in Islington Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Clerkenwell St James in Islington Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batch P001411, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- Batch M001411, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only (26,146 entries).
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994. 29,392 entries.