Clay County, Arkansas Genealogy
Guide to Clay County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clay County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 24, 1873|
|Address|| Clay County Courthouse|
PO Box 306
Piggott, AR 72454
- 1 County Courthouses
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
According to History and Traditions of Clay County , compiled by Robert T. Webb, edited and indexed by Frank Cochran, the people moved the county seat from Corning to Boydsville in 1877. Most of the people lived in the eastern part of the county and it was difficult to travel through the bottoms to Corning. Changing the county seat did not change the difficulty of crossing the bottoms, but only transferred it to the people in the Western part. In 1881 the county was divided into two districts with Boydsville the Eastern county seat and Corning the Western county seat. In 1888 the people voted to move the eastern county seat to Piggott.
- 1873--Clay County was created 24 March 1873 from Randolph and Greene Counties. County seat: Piggott 
See an interactive map of Clay County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
- The Eastern District courthouse burned on January 11, 1893 with total record loss.
Partial Listings - none are complete. Some also contain directions to cemetery as well as photographs.
Woodland Heights US Genweb
Woodland Heights BillionGraves
Hopewell Baptist Church, near Reyno
Clay County Clerk's Office
800 W 2nd St
Corning AR 72422
Office of the County Clerk
PO Box 306
Piggott AR 72454-0306
- Arkansas State Penitentiary Records, Clay County Residents
- Clay County Home
- Elected Officials who have served Clay County
- Pauper Deaths in Clay County
- Piggott Mayors
- Road System in Northeastern Arkansas
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in Clay County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Societies and Libraries
613 Pine St
Corning AR 72422
316 W Main
Piggott AR 72454
121 W 4th St
Rector AR 72461
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 66.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August 2012).