Difference between revisions of "Clark County, Missouri Genealogy"
(Added Land Intro)
|Line 63:||Line 63:|
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
==== Land ====
==== Local Histories ====
==== Local Histories ====
Revision as of 19:40, 6 June 2013
Guide to Clark County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|_Clark County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||December 16, 1836|
|Address|| Clark County Courthouse|
111 E Court Street
Kahoka, MO 63445-1268
Clark County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate, court,
and land records from 1836
See an interactive map of Clark County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Clark County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
- Family Maps of Clark County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Clark County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Clark County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
- 1883 - Clark County Birth Index 1883. Batch C514776 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1887 - Clark County Birth Index 1883-1887. Batch C514775 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1836-1895 - Clark County Marriage Index 1836-1895. Batch M514771 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1856-1872 - Clark County Marriage Index 1856-1872. Batch M514772 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1872-1881 - Clark County Marriage Index 1872-1881. Batch M514773 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Clark County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M514774 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883 - Clark County Death Index 1883. Batch B514777 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clark County, Missouri. Page 399 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.