Clare County, Michigan Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clare County Courthouse
225 West Main
P. O. Box 438
Harrison, MI 48625
Phone: (989) 539-4934
1840--Clare County was created 1 April 1840 from Mackinac County. It was formerly Kaykakee County, until the name changed to Clare County 8 March 1843. It was attached to Saginaw, Midland, Isabelle, and Mecosta Counties prior to organization 13 March 1871.
County seat: Harrison 
- Cities: Clare . Harrison
- Village: Farwell
- Townships: Arthur . Franklin . Freeman . Frost . Garfield . Grant . Greenwood . Hamilton . Hatton . Hayes . Lincoln . Redding . Sheridan . Summerfield . Surrey . Winterfield
- Communites: none
Clare County is part of Roman Catholic Diocese of Saginaw
Civil War service men from Clare County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Clare County.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Clare County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).