Claiborne County, Mississippi Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Claiborne County; PO Box 449; Port Gibson, MS 39150; Ph. 601.437.4992 Details: (Clk Chan Ct has m rec from 1816, div rec from 1856, pro &U ct rec from 1802)
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Claiborne County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Claiborne County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Claiborne County.
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company C - Port Gibson Riflemen, aka Port Gibson Rifles
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company F - Port Gibson Riflemen
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company K - Abbay’s Battery
- - 48th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry [from the 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry]
- Company F - Claiborne Volunteers
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company C - Magruder’s Partisan Rangers
- Company D - McLean’s Company
- - 12th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company H - Claiborne Guards [also listed as Co. K]
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- "List of Counties in Tennessee," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).