Cibola County, New Mexico Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- Up until 1821 - New Spain controlled land that later would become New Mexico and Arizona. Some records of early settlers may have been sent to an archives in Seville, Spain, or to archives in Mexico City.
- From 1821 until 1846 - Mexico had jurisdiction over the land that later would become New Mexico and Arizona. Some records of this period may have been sent to archives in Mexico City. Starting in 1846 United States forces occupied New Mexico during the Mexican-American War.
- 1848 - Land that became Cibola County formally became a part of the United States when the Mexican War ended with ratification of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
Pioneer Memorial Park (also known as Bluewater Cemetery) in Bluewater NM at Find A Grave. From I-40, take the Bluewater Village exit, 606 or Main Street. South 1 mile to stopsign, turn left. About three quarters of a mile the cemeter will be off to the right.
McNeill Private Cemetery in Bluewater NM at Find A Grave. From I-40, take the Bluewater Village exit, 606 or Main Street. South a quarter mile, turn right on Center Street west a quarter mile, turn left on Fir Street south a quarter mile. Cemetery will be on the right.
Cibola County Cemeteries at Cibola New Mexico GenWeb.
For tips on accessing Cibola County, New Mexico Genealogy census records online, see: New Mexico Census.
Land Records since 1981 are located at the County Clerks Office of Cibola County NM
Land Records before 1981 are located at the County Clerks Office of Valencia County NM
Most of the land in New Mexico was originally obtained from the US federal government by a patent. These General Land Office Records are searchable online and most have free images of patents to download. The minimum information needed for a search is the state where the land is located and the name of the person receiving the patent. Surveys and Land Status Records can also be searched here.
Cibola county NM Newspapers found at Library of Congress
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Grants Family History Center
1010 Bondad Street
Grants New Mexico 87020
- USGenWeb project. Maps, name indexes, history and other information for this county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cibola County, New Mexico page 473, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.