Various Spellings: Choctaw, Chactaw, Chaktaw
The Choctaw Tribe is primarily associated with the states of Louisiana, Alabama, and Oklahoma. See below for at least a partial lists of groups of Choctaw Indians and the reservations associated with each.
The Choctaw Tribe is one of the Five Civilized Tribes
Early allies with the French
Inter tribal conflict iwith the Creek and Chickasaw.
1540: De Soto first recorded non Indian to encounter the tribe
1763: with the French surrendered to the British many moved west of Mississippi
1820: ceded some land
1830: Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek,
1831-1833: First of Five Civilized Tribes forced from their homeland. Removed to Indian Territory
1918: Choctaw Indian Agency in Philadelphia, Mississippi established
World War I and II: the U.S. government used members of the Choctaw Nation for secure communications. They became the first code-talkers
Oklahoma: Latimer and Pushmataha counties
Mississippi: Neshoba, Newton, Leake, Scott, Jones, Attala, Kemper, Winston counties
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Choctaw tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods. Additional details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America.
Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
P.O. Box 1210
Durant, OK 74702-1210
Groups or Parts of the Choctaw Tribe and Their Reservations
Choctaw Nation (Oklahoma)
- 1830 Armstrong Roll www.accessgenealogy.com
- 1855 Cooper Roll of Easter Choctaw www.accessgenealogy.com Families living East of the Mississippi River in the states of Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama. (roll contains: names of heads of families, place of residence, and numbers of men, women, and children in families)
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
Post - 1885 Census M595 RG 75 Rolls 693
|Choctaw||Union Agency - Muskogee Area 1875-80||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||Roll 685||-|
|Choctaw Mississippi||Choctaw, Philadelphia, Mississippi, 1926-39||Washington D.C.||Rolls 15, 41-42||57422-201|
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M234 RG 75 Rolls 962
|Choctaw||Choctaw Agency, 1824-76||Washington D.C.||Rolls 169-96||-|
|Choctaw||Jones Academy, Hartshorne, 1901-53||Fort Worth||-||-|
|Choctaw||Union Agency-Muskogee Area, 1875-80||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||Rolls 865-77||-|
|Choctaw, Mississippi||Choctaw, Philadelphia, Miss., 1926-39||Washington D.C.||-||-|
- 1847 Muster Roll of Big Black River Band (arrived at Fort Coffee) www.accessgenealogy.com
- 1847 Ha Cubbees Band Muster Roll (arrived at Fort Coffee) www.accessgenealogy.com
- 1783 January 3, at Hopewell
- 1796 June 29, with Creek
- December 17, 1801, at Fort Adams
- 1802 October 17, at Fort Confederation
- 1805 November 16, at Mount Dexter
- October 27, 1805, -Chickasaw
- August 9, 1814,
- 1816 October 24,
- 1820 October 18 near Doaks Stand
- 1825 January 20, at Washington
- February 12,1825,- Creek
- May 6, 1828, - Cherokee
- 1830 September 27, at Dancing Rabbit Creek
- February 14, 1833,
- 1835 August 24, at Camp Holmes - with Comanche
- 1835 January 17, at Doaksville
- 1837- Chickasaw
- 1854 November 4, at Doaksville - with Chicksaw
- 1855 June 22, at Washington, with Chickasaw
- September 13, 1855, at Fort Smith-unratified
- 1865 Cherokee and other Tribes in Indian Territory - Comanche and Kowa
- July 4, 1866, - Delaware
- August 28, 1866, at Washington
Important Web Sites
- Constitution and By-laws of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
- Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma Official Website
- Choctaw Nation Wikipedia
- Indian Entities Recognized and Eligible To Receive Services From the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs, Federal Register, Vol. 67, No. 134, 12 July 2002 Available online
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; Family History Library book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; Family History Library book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; Family History Library book 970.1 W146e 2006.