Childress County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 Adopted by TXGenWeb Childress Co, Texas Vicki Shaffer
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Adopted by TXGenWeb Childress Co, Texas
1876--Childress County was created 21 May 1876 from Bexar Land District. County seat: Childress 
The county was named for George C. Childress, (1804-1841), lawyer, statesman, and author of the Texas Declaration of Independence, son of John Campbell and Elizabeth (Robertson) Childress, was born on January 8, 1804, at Nashville, Tennessee.
1891--Childress County Courthouse destroyed by fire on October 21, 1891. All records were lost. 
Places / Localities
Towns and Cities: Childress | Carey | Kirkland | Loco | Tell
Towns and Communities from the Childress County TXGenWeb site.
- The Childress County Story, 1971
- Childress County History from the Childress County TXGenWeb site.
- Childress County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903
Societies and Libraries
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Childress, TX Courthouse Fire, Oct 1891 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/7340/childress-tx-childress-county-courthouse-fire-oct-1891